Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy St. Paddy's Day! Irish Coddle from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Marya found this great recipe on the blog Fat Free Vegan, and I just had to try it for St. Patrick's Day.

You'll find the recipes here for both the coddle and the sausages.

First I made the sausages.
I didn't realize until I was wrapping up the sausage mixture in the aluminum foil that the recipe didn't call for any oil. I will confess to panicking a bit because I was concerned that the the sausage would stick to the foil. Then I remembered the source of the recipe - Fat Free Vegan. So I took what felt like a leap of faith and continued to wrap the sausages, then steamed them. They came out better than most sausages I've made, so I was both relieved and impressed.

Next, I stacked in a Dutch oven: a layer of potatoes, then onions, then the sausage, then more potatoes, topping off with more onions. The stack ends up being high, and only a cup and a half of liquid goes in. The result is, as this Wikipedia entry mentions, it is semi-boiled and semi-steamed.

It was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. What you posted madе a lot of ѕense.
    Hoωever, what about thiѕ? suρpose you wrote a catсhіer title?

    I meаn, I ԁon't wish to tell you how to run your website, however suppose you added a post title that makes people desire more? I mean "Happy St. Paddy's Day!

    Irish Coddle from Fаt Free Vegаn
    Kіtсhen" is kinda plain. You ought to peek at Yahoo's home page and watch how they create news headlines to get viewers to click. You might add a video or a pic or two to grab people interested about everything've written. In my opinion, it would make your posts a little bit more interesting.

    Check out my weblog bowen therapy treatment
    Also visit my weblog ... esalen massage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat-free, and low fat food at grocery stores with nutritional facts at http://healthygrocery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete