Monday, November 15, 2010

Fun Home Stuff: Pork and Sauerkraut

Marya received a copy of a family recipe for pork and sauerkraut from a relative, and we thought we should make it for her father on his visit. The recipe only calls for 3 ingredients: pork, sauerkraut, and juniper berries. I'd already come up with a recipe for pork bites using TVP chunks, broth, and nutritional yeast.

So I had to learn how to make the sauerkraut. We do what we can to avoid canned food, and we've started making practically everything else at home, so why the hell not?

Here's the recipe I loosely worked with: Click!

Step 1 was thinly slicing the cabbage and placing it in an enamel crock pot. Then, I added non-iodized salt and mashed it with a potato masher until the salt started pulling out the water from the cabbage. Who knew cabbage was so juicy?

Then, I placed a plate on top of it to keep pressure on the cabbage, and put a gallon jug full of water to weigh the plate down. I put towels around the edge to keep bugs out. We've had an attack of fruit flies recently. I blame our compost container.


A week is not quite long enough for it to really become sauerkraut, but it worked out alright.


I'm going to break with (my) tradition and offer my recipe (under continuous improvement) for vegan pork bites:


Vegan Pork Bites:
(the other fake white meat)

1 C TVP Chunks
2 C Water
1 T Nutritional Yeast
1 t "Better than Bouillon" Vegetable Base
1/2 Not Chick'n bouillon cube
1 t soy sauce

Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add more water if necessary. At the end most of the water should be absorbed. Remove the top if not. Told you this recipe is under constant renovation.


Next for the pork and sauerkraut recipe - mix equal amounts of sauerkraut and pork in a baking pan. Mix in 2 or so tablespoons of juniper berries, and bake for 2 or so hours at 300 degrees.

I was impressed both with how this looked and tasted, even if I do say so myself.

And Marya made this lovely raw applesauce, sweetened with dates.


No comments:

Post a Comment