Thursday, March 18, 2010

Update, and WFT is up with McDonalds?

I haven't written in a while. I've been meaning to! I've got about 1/2 a dozen or so things lined up to write about, including some Washington DC restaurant profiles, a recent trip to Mexico, the latest DC Vegan Drinks at which Gene Baur of Farm Sanctuary spoke, a trip last year to London. As Frank Zappa put it: "Great Googleymoogley!"

This is a bit of a departure, I know, but I've got this to ask: WTF is up with these McDonalds ads? I've been seeing them all over Washington DC. To me they are so absurd and offensive it's almost comical. Almost. It's hard to believe this is a for-real advertising campaign. A stuffed and mounted fish asking to have its flesh returned to it? The fish is named "Frankie the Fish", the Disneyesque alliterative name is clearly intended to add to the cuteness factor.

It gets worse. I don't watch TV so I only recently found out via search on the internets that this is part of a television ad campaign that began in early 2009. The mounted fish sings to someone sitting in his garage eating a Filet O' Fish sandwich. The guy grooves to the song as he's stuffing his face. It became such a viral video on YouTube that apparently everyone but me and my closest 100 or so friends couldn't stop singing. Apparently people even have the song as their ringtone. I decided not to post it here as I don't want to add to its hit-count, but here are the lyrics to the song:

Give me back that filet o fish
Give me that fish
Give me back that filet o fish
Give me that fish

What if it were you
Hanging up on this wall?
If it were you in that sandwich
You wouldn’t be laughing at all!


So McDonalds appears to be gambling on this - either you will be seriously appalled by this or the ad will appeal to your baser instincts and you will find animal suffering funny. Sadly, they seem to have won the wager.



In a way, maybe this is a good thing. Maybe this actually will make people begin to think about the fact that Filet O' Fish comes from a living feeling creature. That fish...comes from fish. In addition to that, they should also be thinking about all the shit that goes into a Filet O' Fish to allow them to sell them for the low price of $.99.
As Michael Pollan once said, "Never eat anything food that is advertised."

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I hadn't been aware of this campaign at all. It's in the same vein as the ubiquitous jokes and ads around Thanksgiving that say things like, "Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year... unless you're a turkey, ha ha." But this does seem unbelievably over-the-top. As you say, I fear they may have won the wager... but I hope and trust that it will make at least some people see the connection and decide to stop eating animals.

    ~Maren

    ReplyDelete