Friday, January 15, 2010

Local to Me Edition: Brunch @ Asylum

Ceiling at Asylum
Asylum
Adams Morgan
2471 18th Street
Washington, DC NW 20009

I refer to Asylum as a vegan/goth/biker bar. It's not completely vegan - 1/2 actually, but it's still fun to call it that. Really fucks with peoples' minds. It attracts bikers of both sorts, but more the non-motorized type, as bike messenger and local bike shop employees seem to congregate here loads.

This is one of my favorite places ever, so I'll try not to gush to the point of embarrassment. The walls and light fixtures give it a homey dungeon feel. Red velvet drapes around the ceiling in such a way that gives you the impression that you've entered Dracula's watering hole. A dragon tail snakes around behind the bar - the rest of the dragon used to sit at the end of the bar, but they've removed him to make room patrons who'll actually hand over money. Plus, they've put one of those stupid bar-top video games there.

They have a stage here, and I've seen some great bands here.

I'll never forget the first time we had brunch here: the very nice waiter with pierced everything (visible) told us in a pleasant tone: "The soysage is very excellent."

They have vegan options galore here. A small sample of the menu: chili-cheeze waffle fries, nachos, vegan BLT, blackened tofu, and Philly Cheeze Steak sandwiches. And vegan wings. More on that in a bit. Their on-tap beer selection is great and reasonably priced, and the happy hour makes it even better. If you love tequila (I don't), they've got an extensive menu of the stuff.

And a most important tip: Tuesdays are buy one get one 1/2 off vegan entrees. As I've got an addiction to their vegan wings, I try to go on Tuesdays when I'll order as many as 4 plates of the things.

Their brunch is always nominated as the best in DC, and it quite often wins the category. This is due in part to their having such a great vegan brunch menu.

On my recent trip, I ordered the chili cheese tofu scramble. In the picture below, you may be able to see how I dug into it before remembering to snap a picture of it. There's something about this dish that says "comfort food". Yes, that's a beer in the picture. Yes, I had a beer for breakfast.

Chili Cheese Tofu Scramble

And, as filling as the tofu scramble plate was, I still couldn't resist the opportunity to get a plate of wings, complete with carrot and celery, hot sauce, and vegan sour cream. Yes, that's another beer in the picture. I had another beer for breakfast.
Nirvana

No comments:

Post a Comment